Every week, the More Known will be delivering new writing prompts for you to use in your writing exercises. These writing prompts can serve as writing assignments or as fun challenges. They can lead to short stories, essays, or chapters in something more voluminous. Feel free to share your work in the comments (if you want an audience).
While these prompts will appear every Wednesday, we will have over-arching monthly themes that might help specific groups of writers. November will focus on writers participating in NaNoWriMo. In future months we will provide story starters for kids, poetic prompts, historical prompts, mysterious prompts, and more.
Your writing prompts for this week:
1. Describe what led one of your characters to say one of the lines below.
- “She never mentioned it before. How do we know she is telling the truth?”
- “Twenty pounds. Nothing more.”
- “I will never be able to forgive myself.”
- “The walls were crawling with them. I’ve never seen so many in the same place.”
- a compass
- a man in a faded green hat
- a riddle
- A movie set
- Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris
- A small cottage with no electricity
November is National Novel Writing Month!
Writers use prompts in different ways. During November, people around the world attempt to write 50,000 words in a single month. NaNoWriMo has a site that offers word count information and works as a great social network for writers. Our NaNoWriMo guide is here for anyone who wants a taste of what to expect.
Through November, our writing prompts will be created with aspiring novelists in mind. All of these prompts will be able to help writers achieve daily word goals without having to create something totally new. Writers block can be the biggest challenge during November. These NaNoWriMo writing prompts will help.
Good luck, everyone!
Latest posts by MoreKnown (see all)
- Ink & Blood: Correspondence twixt Blood and Lottie - March 10, 2014
- The Best Movies about Storytelling - March 6, 2014
- Flash Fiction: “Rectangles” - March 4, 2014